Thursday, August 16, 2007

Bravo Cucina Italiana

I wrote to Bravo! Cucina Italiana and after seven days and no response, wrote again with the same message.

Hello,
I would like to visit your restaurant. Can you tell me what menu items are vegan (no animal products)? Thank you for taking the time to determine this, your help is greatly appreciated.
Best,
Erin


The same day I received a nice response from Lisa:
Erin,
Has anyone contacted you?
Lisa Gillenwater
Executive Assistant
Bravo Development, Inc
Phone: (614) 340-9208
Fax: (866) 625-4761
lgillenwater@bdi.cc


To which I replied (#2):
Hello Lisa,
No, still awaiting a reply.
Thanks,
Erin


Lisa (#2a):
Erin,
I apologize. You should be contacted today or tomorrow at the latest. Please let me know if no one contacts you by then.
Thank you,
Lisa
Lisa Gillenwater
Executive Assistant
Bravo Development, Inc
Phone: (614) 340-9208
Fax: (866) 625-4761
lgillenwater@bdi.cc


Great! Hard to mind that former lack of response with such courteousness now. Later the same day, I received a message from chef Dan Kahle.

Reply (#2b) from Dan Kahle, Bravo! Italiana Cucina, Castleton, Indianapolis location:
Erin,
In regards to your question about vegan dishes, we could do a portabello mista appetizer without the creamy horseradish dressing. Also, if you call us and let us know when you are coming, we would be happy to do a grilled vegetable plate, or something else to suit your needs. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions, or you can also call the restaurant @(317) 577-2211.
Dan Kahle
Chef
Bravo! Castleton


Dan and Lisa, while perhaps late to respond, more than made amends with their friendly demeanor and helpfulness. While I would like, of course, for vegans to be considered at the time the menu was created, their willingness to accommodate vegan diners in such a personalized way is very impressive. However, one obvious question comes to mind: is their pasta vegan?

I submitted this reply (#3) to Dan:
Thanks so much for your reply Dan!
I really appreciate you taking the time to write and your offer to accommodate my diet. I do have one question I'm hoping you can help me with: do you know if your pasta is free of animal ingredients, or if possible, since some ingredients aren't clearly of animal origin, could you send the ingredients of your pasta (or one or two popular types if you use different brands with different ingredients)? I know this is a hassle and time consuming, but please know that your efforts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Erin

Bravo! Cucina Italiana reply #3:
Erin,
We use Barilla pasta. The ingredients for all string and round pastas are semolina, duram flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, and folic acid. The whole wheat pasta we use contains egg whites, and all of our raviolis contain cheese. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dan



The verdict:

The Portobello Mista appetizer, ordered without the creamy horseradish dressing, is vegan
String and round pastas may or may not be vegan (thiamin mononitrate) (the whole wheat pasta is not vegan).

1 comment:

bludge24 said...

Don't forget that the Caesar Salad dressing has ground anchovies in it...